Gain the skill, judgement and understanding of the publishing process required to become a successful, market-ready proofreader. The only self-study course that takes you from complete beginner to qualified proofreader in one step.
Who is this course for?
- Editorial staff looking to build or refresh their skills, or learn from the beginning
- Those who proofread as part of their job and lack formal training
- Anyone wanting to work as a freelance proofreader
What will you achieve?
On completing this course you’ll be able to:
- Mark up on screen and on paper, and understand the differences between the two
- Mark up on screen in Adobe Reader and Microsoft Word
- Use and understand British Standards Institution symbols
- Make informed decisions when marking up proofs – what to change, what to leave
Obtain formal training in proofreading to enhance your natural editing talent and gain career-changing skills. You will become an assured proofreader, with the ability to make informed decisions, follow instructions and have the flexibility to work with a range of publishers, authors and formats, in order to become an essential component of the publishing process.
- Understand the publishing process and where the proofreader fits in
- 30 self-check exercises to help you learn and practise
- Follow the instructions of an editor, and give clear instructions to a typesetter