An introduction to the departments, roles, functions and processes that make up the UK book and journal publishing industry.
An Introduction to Publishing provides a comprehensive look into the world of book and journal publishing. Gain an overview of the publishing world today and uncover the variety of roles and responsibilities that come together to create published materials.
- The publishing industry: an overview
- Companies and brands
- Market research
- Acquiring and commissioning
- Sales and marketing
- Finance and costings
- Publishing career avenues
At the end of this module you will:
- understand the context and structure of the broad book and journal publishing world
- understand the key publishing processes and typical departmental functions of a publishing company
- understand the life cycle of a typical book and journal publication.
How does the course work?
There are six modules, plus a bonus unit. Each module has detailed explanations of the relevant areas of publishing, and quizzes for self-assessment. Finishing all sections of each module leads to your completion certificate being issued.